Tuesday 14 July 2015

Some stainless tigging.

Some months ago i picked up a used but very good condition - full stainless Vance & Hines pro pipe exhaust. I wanted it for the new bike as my current one is rusting badly from the inside out.
I guessed it would need some modification to fit my chassis as it was off a prostock bike with narrower frame rails. And when you buy them new they come in several pieces and you have to finish them yourself. It's a real nice system - wafer thin and very very light. Anyway, i had to hack saw it in two and add extensions to the headers and a 2 inch section to the downpipe to make it clear the frame. I'm not a very accomplished tig welder and it's particularly tricky welding such thin material, but I've just about pulled it off i think. I want to ditch the megaphone section for a narrower straight pipe. Will ask a sheet metal place to roll me a tube out of wafer thin stainless sheet i think.

Due largely to a lack of time I've decided to fit my current engine into the new chassis as is, and chosen to save the bigger block and head till i have more time. It also means i have less to test at first, making the transition simpler perhaps.

I've managed to part with all the Lectron WOT switch / carb tops i made, several fellow racers had requested them and I'd left myself without on e... again! So I've now done a CAD file and am having another small batch waterjet cut. It's a slightly different design but is less wasteful, and more accurate to produce. I'll just finish the cut parts on the mill.

I had the front wheel blasted a few weeks ago too. The wheel is Cagiva Mito 125 and had spots of corrosion and some small pitting. I tried to clean it up but it was going to be  alot of work. Anyway - £20 to have it blasted and it's come up brilliant. Too nice to paint almost. But it's been painted black already ..... before it starts oxidizing again.










No comments: